Spilt Milk
Somewhere there's music... I'll play the tune...~How High the Moon
I'm waiting to see if the jazz station will play my request for "How High the Moon." I have to play that song Monday night for jazz juries and feel like I'm going to fail! I just want finals week to be over because all I'm going to be doing is being tested on what I've learned, I'm not going to actually be learning anything. I want to start making some real progress on the piano and I don't think that's going to happen until summer and I can devote significant portions of my day each day to playing. Well, hopefully Brent won't fail me. At the same time, I don't feel like I deserve an 'A' because I have NOT put in enough effort this term. *growls* I'm shooting myself in the foot as far as classical goes because I feel "comfortable" on my songs and... well... I just really need to practice.
If we bring a little joy into your humdrum lives, it makes us feel as though our hard work ain't been in vain for nothin'.~Lina Lamont (Singin' in the Rain)
Friday was interesting. I was "fasting" all Thursday for kids in Honduras. The money I normally would have spent at Saga was donated to building a school. I really didn't think I was that hungry but I slept A LOT on Friday. When I finally woke up I discovered that our hall had been pranked the night before. Someone poured spoiled milk all over the hallways and it smelled (and still smells, to a lesser degree) disgusting! I mean, it was terrible! You couldn't breathe. Blech. So after I devoured my first meal in over 24 hours I went to class etc. That night though, I could not stay awake and it was only 8:00pm! I took a 2 hour nap and then when I was finally up my roommate Ally told me that her and Smac wanted to watch Singin' in the Rain! Yes! But first they were going to check out the swing dancing in the loop. Double sweetness! So I went with them and although I didn't actually get to dance it was fun to watch (especially watching Smac learn) and I got to hear some sweet music. I would really like to buy that "bela, bela" song but I actually don't remember what it's called. It was just really cool. Then we watched Singin' in the Rain, which my roommate had never seen before! That was really fun. I love that movie so much.
Today was pretty crazy as well. I did some packing so that it won't take so much time Friday and then I went to my cousin Becky's bridal shower. She is getting married this summer and it is quite exciting. I had to leave slightly early to make it to my hall's last hall activity (*sob!*) which was supposed to be at Tomato Street but when I got there the place was packed and I couldn't find them anywhere. Finally a girl told me they had gone to Red Robin (probably because Tomato Street was so packed) and I found them there and everything was okay.
So I haven't really done much. I definitely slept a lot and other than that I've been playing. Hmmm, somebody please remind me that finals week is NEXT WEEK and it would be a shame to screw up my good grades because I was too lazy to study/practice.
Oh, hey, here's an update on my request to the jazz station. The DJ finally played it about an hour and a half after I made it, but he apologized on the air for taking so long! He didn't get the voicemail until late so I forgive him. Anyhow, it was a pretty sweet Bud Powell recording, I enjoyed it much and heard some nice licks to incorporate into my soloing on Monday. Mmmmmm, jazz is amazing...



No comments:
Post a Comment