Saturday, October 04, 2008

Laszlo Polgar

So we're watching "The Magic Flute" in Music History. Amazing. Despite the fact that it is sexist, racist, and about how wonderful freemasonry is. The particular production we are watching is rather quirky, but very fun. It's not like a blockbuster Met production but historically more accurate, trying to imitate how the opera would have been presented in Mozart's day.

Anyways, it is very fun and reaffirming the rather obvious conviction that Mozart was a genius. All the performers are good, but the guy who plays Sarastro, Laszlo Polgar, has the most amazing bass voice ever! He shows up late in the second act but the minute he started singing I thought "wow! That is amazing!" I love it when guys have deep, rich singing voices. Anyhow, here is a short clip of him singing Sarastro's second aria. It is not my favorite piece of music, but you have to agree that his voice is (or at least was, I don't know if he's still singing), pretty spectacular.

2 comments:

Katrina said...

Wow. Love it. I can't wait 'till we can see it!

Heidi said...

Yeah, we kind of analyzed it today and I was wrong in calling it sexist and racist. On one level it seems that way, but Mozart is supposedly lampooning popular ideas of race and sex. It really wasn't what I was expecting though. But still quite good, especially the first Act.