Wednesday, April 26, 2006

What's in a Name?

A rose by any other name would still smell...
~Reduced Shakespeare




Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


Believe it or not, parts of this blog are *gasp!* NOT COMPLETELY RANDOM!!!

The purpose of this post to explain the origins of the title "Swedish Toast." To begin with, I have never had many nicknames. When I was little my family used to call me Doodles. Sometimes I would pretend I was a dog and I would make my family call me "Dummett," do not ask me why... They thought they were going to get turned in for child abuse. A family friend called me snickers sometimes. Take note that if you combine my 2 legitimate nicknames it makes "snickerdoodles" which is the name of a delicious cookie. Now my Dad calls me "Munchkin" (isn't that embarrassing?) but consider, what do you do when you eat a cookie such as a snickerdoodle?

The next part of my story begins in college. Here I have somehow managed to accumulate a plethora of nicknames. The first of these was "The Swede." This nickname was bestowed upon me during certain covert operations against certain rival dorms (that's all I'm going to say, if you want the full story you will have to ask me privately, it's highly classified information). We had to have codenames and at first mine was going to be "Milk Maiden" because apparently I remind Whitney of one. Maybe she's been reading too many Grimm's Fairy Tales or something. Anyhow, she said I looked Swedish and I am kind of because I'm technically 1/4 Swedish. So I was the Swede. Later came many more, including MOP (Master of Piano, flattering but untrue), Sheidino (it's my name with the 'son' from my roommates name 'Allyson' added on), and lastly "Toast." Why Toast? Because one day while I was in the dining hall, otherwise known as saga, I decided I would like some Toast. So I got the bread and put it in the little toaster oven thing... No big deal. Well, while I was waiting for it to be toasted I looked in to see how my bread was fairing. I was totally unprepared for the sight that greeted my eyes. Instead of a piece of bread turning a pleasant golden brown there were BLUE FLAMES shooting EVERYWHERE!!! BLUE!!! I DO NOT EXAGGERATE! I didn't know what to do!? Was I going to burn down saga!? Sadly this was not to be. My toast came out of the toaster oven resembling a large piece of charcoal. I still have what's left of it hanging outside my door in remembrance of the event.

So there you have it. Swedish Toast. There is a reason for it. And, as it turns out, Swedish Toast happens to be a cookie! You may not believe me but it is true. I've put a link to the recipe under "The Real Swedish Toast."

Apparently there is an independent film called "Toast." The picture above is from its website. At least I think it's its website.

1 comment:

Leah said...

Ah, the meaning behind Swedish Toast. When I first saw your blog, I assumed you'd named it after the cookie. :)