Sunday, April 05, 2009

This at least is true

The world is really messed up.

"Well, duh," you might say. And yes, it is rather obvious. I was once talking with an agnostic acquaintance of mine (as I simultaneously pursue my faith and form relationships with a wider variety of people I am finding that deep relationships with those who don't share my belief in Christ's redeeming power are rewarding but intensely painful) and asked if he would at least agree with me on that. He chuckled and said yes, he did. I'm sure he thought I was rather young and naive to even pose such a question. But you see my point was that, however you explain it, "something is not right."

As I consider my (somewhat limited) options after graduation and as my over-active imagination spins out all the possible paths my life could take, I can only reflect that the world is really messed up for a reason. The reality of human fallibility and sinfulness stares me in the face when I consider what my more selfish ambitions might lead me to, or my ignorance, or my laziness. This isn't even counting those times when I have truly good intentions. You know, those things the path to hell is paved with. Plus there is that huge segment of people who aren't bothered by these implications at all. They unabashedly live for themselves and I guess I can commend them in their honesty, unlike those of us who mask our will to power under aforementioned good intentions.

My point is that, as unpopular as the idea of Total Depravity is, it seems unfortunately accurate. Which is why the message of the redemptive power of Christ is such a powerful one. Popular conceptions of Christianity spit on the doctrine of original sin because it implies condemnation. Yet the need for a Savior is evident. As uncomfortable as I am with the concepts of hell and damnation, something I don't think I'll ever fully wrap my head around, the transformative power of Christ resonates for all of us who would attempt to honor God, follow Christ and serve humanity.

2 comments:

Zita Louise said...

Total Depravity is unpopular with me too. But that's cause I'm Catholic...

See, the thing is, I can't even commend selfish people for being honest. It's SO prideful to be honestly selfish! I would much rather be a struggling hypocrite than a successful, honest egotist.

Heidi said...

Well, with the selfishly honest thing, I was being slightly sarcastic. And regarding Total Depravity, I'm not saying I'm a Calvinist, I'm just asserting my belief in our need for redemption. Surely Catholics don't have a problem with that.