Friday, July 25, 2008

Louis Jourdan is my hero

In the world of Hollywood leading men, there isn't much to pick from nowadays. There are a few actors I suppose. Christian Bale, although his character seems to be in question at the moment. Richard Armitage is, of course, not in Hollywood. Brad Pitt and co. frankly don't impress me much. And despite Captain Jack Sparrow's amazingness, Johnny Depp kind of creeps me out.

This is why most of my favorite actors are dead. It's quite unfortunate, but true. Gregory Peck, Gene Kelly, Fred Astaire, James Stewart, Laurence Olivier, to name a few, are just awesome. These guys had class. And I keep discovering more. Louis Jourdan may just top the list. Not because I like his work all that much better, but because he seems like such a 100% spiffing guy.

I first discovered him through "Gigi," a cute if somewhat creeperish musical that was the last of Lerner and Loewe's creations. I'm not sure it deserved the Best Picture award it was given, but it's a well-made film with some good actors and a few decent songs. I mean, it's not my favorite, but I happened to pick it up at the library the other day and I realized that the leading man really is a heck of an actor. Aaaannddd possibly quite good looking... But would I be motivated by such shallowness? Certainly not. The point is, I IMDB'd him and discovered he's also a heck of a guy.

As an actor, he mostly starred as what he calls the "Latin lover" roles. But it seems he had potential for a whole lot more. He was the villain in a James Bond movie that I simply must see now. He also starred as Dracula in a BBC series I believe. Apparently he was involved in a production of the Count of Monte Cristo as well. I'm curious about a few of his other "type-cast" features, and am really anxious now to see Hitchcock's "The Paradine Case," which features both him and Gregory Peck!!! Whom he also professes to have been extremely close with.

His minibio on IMDB is really what wowed me though. "Born Louis Gendre, he was educated in France, Britain, and Turkey." "During World War II, after his father was arrested by the Gestapo, Louis and his two brothers joined the French underground; his film career came to a halt when he refused to act in Nazi propaganda films." Oh, and he is still married to his wife of 60+ years. Wow.

Coolest thing ever though. I chanced a look on the IMDB forums and... he's there! Chatting it up with fans from his home in the south of France at the age of 89! Of course, it could just be an impersonator. Some weird sap who derives pleasure out of deceiving simple-minded mucks like myself. But... I think it really is him. I choose to believe it. And how cool is that? So, as he apparently listens to classical music, I asked him who his favorite composer was, for lack of anything better to ask. It's there for all to see if you're interested in observing me as a star-struck idiot. I'd rather you didn't though. I do feel slightly silly at how excited I am over this, but at the same time... I don't get to converse with my favorite actors very often.

2 comments:

Katrina said...

Hey! As soon as I read your message on Facebook, I started thinking the exact same thing that you said in your post: why are all our favorite actors dead or really really old? And then I thought, well there is Christian Bale. And then the whole did he or didn't he 'rough up' his mother, or whatever the heck they're saying. And then I decided to check your blog again, and here's my thought process written by you! I thought the whole saying and thinking the same thing was just because we were roommates, but I guess it continues... We should add his other movies to our list. I've seen Gigi and would love to see him in other roles too!

Heidi said...

As a bit of a P.S.

He has FINALLY posted again on IMDB and to my chagrin did NOT answer my question... So I still do not know who his favorite composer is. I don't think he's ignoring me, I just don't think he realizes that there have been several posts since he last logged on... :-( Ah well, perhaps I'll try again after I've seen a few more of his films. Then I can ask something intelligent, perhaps.