Monday, December 10, 2007

Jazz Juries. :-) ?

So, you may remember the disaster that was my jazz jury last spring. Well friends, I think I've redeemed myself. I just went through the ordeal for this semester and, while not spectacular, was a definite improvement. Even Keberle said I'd improved. It's so nice to be back on that page instead of the disappointed looks of anguish page. I had a few memory slips (which was ridiculous because I knew those songs cold. I could probably recite the chord progression), but I think I managed to prove that I really did know it when I came to that section again. And some really good solo stuff happened. Like I said, there were some nerve things, but on the whole they seemed pleased and I wasn't disappointed with my progress. Hopefully as I develop as a player I'll be able to overcome my performance anxiety. I think it's already happening, so I hope it continues. And I feel like for every mistake I did something really good. Well, at least kind of good. Ish. Anyhow, now I'm rebounding from the emotional roller coaster that always happens when I perform so this is mostly just an outlet.

Just a small postscript to this. Do you realize how incredibly awkward jazz juries really are? Three legit jazz musicians staring at you while you try to play solo piano... Awkwaaard. And this time there was the odd smiling and head nodding (soooo awkward! I think Keberle was laughing at me during the Gershwin too... I just don't know!) but they can't let you know how you actually DID... You have to wait until spring semester for that. Then you get to cringe over their written comments and relive the experience all over again. Ahhhh music. I so don't understand why the heck I'm doing this sometimes.

No comments: