Friday, September 21, 2007

The Weekend

I've realized now that my failure to post anything about The Weekend Retreat has been a severe misjudgment on my part.

What is the Weekend? It's something that the chapel puts on every year mostly for the benefit of lost little freshmen or just for upperclassmen who don't want to admit they're upperclassmen. It's a way to get to know people, get away from campus and homework and stress and just have some fun and Christian fellowship. And so last Friday evening after almost missing the bus (I had to get a sleeping bag from my dad) I found myself on my way to Riverview Bible Camp, which just so happens to be a camp I stayed at when I was little. In fact, we ended up staying in the same cabin as I did the last time I'd been there. I was with a great group of girls. We all got along really well even though we were all super different.

Whitworth always brings in a speaker of some sort for this and we have a series of what I guess you'd call "mini" chapels. Hosanna, Whitworth's worship team, did a great job leading worship (although I'm biased because I know half of them) and then we'd have a small church service. This year's speaker was Mosos Pulei, who is a new professor in the theology department. Here's the thing, he grew up in a Maasai tribe in Kenya. !!!. He went to Whitworth as a student through support from World Vision, and then after doing some work in Kenya he went to graduate school and I think Princeton seminary. I think that sounds right. But he grew up in a Maasai tribe! He had some crazy stories. He killed a leopard with a spear when he was a teenager!!! A leopard! And I guess his parents arranged a marriage for him while he was at Whitworth with a 13-year-old or something. When he came back home after 2 years, they expected him to get married. Instead, he was able to adopt her as his sister (it's a Maasai thing). So it was cool just to hear him talk about his life.

Besides that pretty much nobody got any studying done. I enjoyed an awesome game of basketball and frisbee, and went down Riverview's ginormous slide a couple six times, and watched my friends make fools out of themselves at the "dance" party... And I also watched my friends run around with plastic geese on their heads.

Okay, that one takes some explaining. We were having a cabin discussion outside when someone said "are those fake geese?" I was wondering what made a goose inauthentic as opposed to "real" when I saw that they meant some like lawn-ornament type hollow geese that were sitting a few yards from us. Do not ask me where they came from. Do not ask me what they were for. I do not know. I just know we had way to much fun with them. One of the girls put one on her head and terrorized the boys. We took three of them to our cabin and named them Duck, Duck, and Maverick. We took lots of pictures. Here is one.


Anyhow, it's kind of hard to explain. My roommate got a video of the girl sneaking up on the praying boys whilst wearing the above goose, but we have not yet got it on the internet. Anyhow, it hardly needs to be said that we had way too much fun and were very sad to get back to the real world when we did. This weekend is turning out to be similarly amazing and I will have to post about. It's good to have crazy fun times.

----------------
Now playing: Horace Silver - Sister Sadie
via FoxyTunes

1 comment:

Zita Louise said...

Dude! I so know what they're for. Hunters use them. The fake geese. They actually do hide under them. Or maybe I'm wrong, it's hard to tell in the picture. I have seen things like that before sold with hunting supplies at White Elephant.