Who says fanfiction has to stink?
"What's in the punch?"
"Lemons and melons and pears."
"Oh my!"
~Galinda and Fiyero
"I happen to be genuinely self-absorbed and deeply shallow."
~Fiyero
"Listen, I've been thinking..."
"Yes, I've heard."
~Fiyero and Elphaba
So whenever I try to get ahead in schoolwork, I fail. This time it started with iTunes. Since everyone in the dorm is hooked up to the same network I have access to a lot of music.
I've never really cared for the musical "Wicked." I'm not a huge "Wizard of Oz" fan, even so I don't like people messing with other people's stories, AND the idea of what is essentially fanfiction making money is weird to me. Not only that, but it just looked really dumb. I sang "No One Mourns the Wicked" in an advanced voice class at CYT once, and I was impressed with the music, but I didn't feel the actual musical worth my time.
But I got listening to someone's copy of the soundtrack on iTunes and discovered, to my surprise, that "Wicked" is a really intelligent musical. Okay, it's also kinda cheesy, but behind the fluff there's something substantial. It's based on a book, which partially explains it. But still, the book is essentially fanfiction! Who'd have thought? There are developed characters, an interesting plot, and serious themes. Weird.
So, I'm not certain I should post this as they took down the Scarlet Pimpernel videos... but... *looks around* *whispers* The ENTIRE show, start to finish, is on YouTube. :-) For a limited time only of course. You'll have to search for it yourself because I'm not linking.



2 comments:
You watched it!?!?! I'm jealous! You have to tell me about it cause I gave up YouTube for Lent. :P I was just going to rant about Wicked. I've been trying to decide if it makes my top ten favorite musicals list. It was going to be #10 I started ranting about why it shouldn't be on the list and it got so long I started to think I didn't like it at all. The problem was I couldn't think of another musical (beyond the other nine on the list) that I like better.
Y'know, it's really not a bad musical. A little clumsy in parts, but very well thought-out. It's higher quality than some stuff with more serious material I think.
Post a Comment