The Music Building Calls to Me...
Wow a lot has happened.
Let's see, my last post was on the 7th. Since then Karen and I went to an AMAZING Symphony concert. Thank You Karen. Hmmm, no point really posting about that though I suppose.
My parents are back from Israel. I can't believe that they went there, but it's very cool that they did. So I went home last weekend and looked at pictures and heard their stories. My mom's always wanted to go so I'm glad she got to. We're just becoming regular world travelers in my family and that's fine with me. :-)
This week was just really, really weird. I only got an hour and a half of sleep Thursday night because I had so much stuff to do. It all happens at once, I swear. And it's not like I was slacking off earlier in the week either. I just had a lot of work to do. So I did homework until 4:00 am and then I slept until 5:30 and then I finished my homework and went to breakfast and to class. After class I had a super-important job interview. I'm really hoping I'll get this job as a summer conference assistant at the college. Room and board are payed for, there's no commute, it would look great on a resume and it's definitely way better than harvest. Parts of the interview went really well but I definitely gave some really dorky answers to some of the questions. Way to be professional. And I'm sure I was a little, um, "mellow" as I'd only had an hour and a half of sleep.
So that was crazy. I slept so much after that.
Also, I went to 4 student recitals this weekend. There were so many. I would have gone to Nathaniel's on Thursday but that was the day I got an hour and a half of sleep. Even so, Shawn, who lives in my dorm, had a junior composition recital at 2:00 on Saturday. Then Keith, a super-amazing pianist, had his senior recital at 4:00. Then today Greg "don't hassle the" Hoff had his senior jazz trombone recital. Really really good. I thought I was done after that and was off to the library to listen to MORE music for classical piano lessons (I love college sometimes) when I realized my brother had called me while I was at Greg's recital. I'd forgotten that Jeff Wirth's senior composition recital was at 4:00 today as well. My brother doesn't know Jeff, but apparently he watches the college's website for any interesting events and decided he'd come. It was 10 after four when I got the message but I decided to go. I only missed the first piece and it was fun to see my brother and chat with him and Brent and Judith. It brought back memories of my brother's senior composition recital... *ooohh, I feel a flashback coming on!*
I might have been a freshman in highschool and I was starting to get really into music. My brother wrote some pretty contemporary stuff, but I tried to pretend I understood it. I remember though that I didn't consider myself a musician really (not much has changed... :-) ) I remember meeting one of Eric's professors (I think it was Michael Young). Eric said something about me having creative tendencies and I very distinctly remember thinking to myself "yeah but there's no way I'm ever going to get stuck as a music major." Ha. Ha. Ha.
Between that and practicing I'd estimate I spent a little under 10 hours in the music building this weekend. I am NOT a performance major dang it. I REFUSE to... do... this... *sigh* Do what you love I guess. I don't love practicing though. I am not a performance major. I am not a performance major. I am not a performance major.
Student recitals are cool in that you get to see these people you interact with every day showing what amazing musicians they are. There was a point when I thought "hm, I don't really belong anywhere within 50 yards of the music building. I'm totally wasting my professors' time." But I got over that jealous thought pretty quickly and just sat back and admired the accomplishments of my peers. The very least I can do is let them inspire me instead of getting bitter about it. They're generally so nice anyways. So that was a really good thing for me. Plus the music was amazing.
Well, I'd better go I have a German test tomorrow.
Please enjoy Albinoni's Adagio. Funnily enough it was mostly written by an "Albinoni scholar" who tried to salvage the work after the bombing of Dresden. He tried to piece together like 6 measures that he found. Still good though. :-)



No comments:
Post a Comment