Friday, February 09, 2007

I Am Very Happy with my iTunes Purchases

So last night I found myself literally addicted to music. I could not stop listening to it. I could NOT. I'd been responsible, done my homework, read the news, organized my stuff etc. I was enjoying the free time I have when I'm not taking lessons and browsing iTunes utilizing the gift card I had. I was up until 2:00am for no good reason. I kept thinking, I should go to bed...

Anyhow, I've decided to start doing some music posts so I can rant on music. Maybe I'll talk about my favorite composer or why I like a certain band or what I don't like. Doesn't matter. You will read it and be enlightened. :-) Actually, you'll probably read half of it and be bored. But I'll write it anyways, as I do this entire blog.

SO let this be the first of those posts. The following is a list of my iTunes purchases and why I purchased that particular song. Maybe a tidbit about the band or something. Let's beging.

1. Let's Fall in Love - Diana Krall
This was a guilt purchase for me in two ways. My esteem of Diana Krall's music has gone down recently. I like the smooth feel of it, but her piano solos are lacking I think and her voice really isn't that great. And she doesn't even scat. So as a jazz student I really should be spending my money on better things. But this is a nice rendition of a nice song and I have another guilt reason. Diana Krall's music has been part of my library for years because I've ripped it from friends or something. So I felt I should pay for what I've been using.

2. Let's Face the Music and Dance - Diana Krall
So, same reasons as above apply. I actually find the approach here kind of unique even if it is a little, I dunno, kitchy. This was always my favorite of Diana Krall's work, this and 'S Wonderful I guess.

3. Old Castle, By the River, In the Middle of a Forest - Hiromi
This is actually a "jazz" tune believe it or not. It's probably the closest to New Age I'll ever let myself get without hating myself. Years and years back I heard and absolutely gorgeous and rather unjazzlike tune on Eastern's jazz station. I wanted a copy, but all I could remember was the word "castle" and that it was by some Japanese artist. I've been looking for it ever since. Thing is, I don't think this is it. What I remember of the tune is that it was soft and beautiful. This, by contrast, is an upbeat melody with driving rhythm. But I find it to be very cool. The improvisation may not be varied, but I like the feel. I've already listened to it 10 times. Hiromi it seems, is a young (26) up and coming jazz artist. Some don't like her style (the improvisation is the main complaint) but many are in awe of her technical brilliance. I sampled a few of her songs and this was the only one I really felt I wanted to purchase. Like I said, a little too New Age.

4. Dance Me to the End of Love - Madeleine Peyroux
This singer has a really unique timbre to her voice. There's no way to mistake her with anyone else. Of all her songs I've heard this is my favorite. Generally with these songs I'm purchasing I really like one or two songs they've done, but the rest of their work doesn't strike me enough to buy a whole CD. It's not that I dislike the entire "Careless Love" CD. It's just not my style. I like rhythm and it's generally slow. This though has a great groove. I may put it on the blog in the near future. Or why not now? Notice the piano embellishments and that guitar strumming.

5. Stray Cat Strut - Stray Cats
This is the song I learned to swing dance to! With CYT of course. It has ever since had a special place in my heart. I would never buy a Stray Cats CD. This is absolutely the only song of theirs I've ever really liked. It's that laid-back groove and guitar strumming. I apparently have a soft spot for guitar strumming. Might have something to do with growing up with a dad, mom, and brother who played guitar.

6. Hollywood Nocturne - Brian Setzer Orchestra
I wish I could put this one up for you to listen to but it's not on that blog music site... Brian Setzer Orchestra, like the Stray Cats, is kind of a swing/rock mix. This falls into a more jazzy category. Generally there's an emphasis on the electric guitar. It's hard to describe. You'd have to listen to it.

7. Kiss Me - Sixpence None the Richer
Guilty pleasure alert! Every once in a while a pop song comes along that utilizes its simple chord changes so well I can't help but like it. This song's lyrics flow really well and it has that descending bassline that I just can't resist. I'm a sucker for descending basslines.

8. Bibbidi-Bobbidi-Boo - Louis Armstrong
If you haven't heard Satchmo sing this song, you're missing out on one of the most unique musical experiences I've ever had. This is from, I kid you not, "Disney Songs the Satchmo Way." *trails off into histerical laughter*

9. The Bare Necessities - Louis Armstrong
Don't get me wrong, I love Louis Armstrong, but that last song is just too weird. Weird in an amazing-I-can't-believe-I'm-hearing-this way. Now THIS makes sense to me. It's really the most fun arangement of this I've heard. Why didn't he do an I Wanna Be Like You rendition I'll never know.

10. Bei Mir Bist du Schon - The Piccadilly Orchestra
I've never heard of this group and it's not likely I'll search them out, but they do have the best modern version of this song on iTunes. First heard this tune at a college swing dance. I wish I had their version but I couldn't find it, this, along with the Benny Goodman version I bought, were the next best things.

11. Bei Mire Bist du Schone - Benny Goodman

12. Good Enough for Granddad - Squirrel Nut Zippers
My brother introduced me to this group when I was in jr. high. They're like 20's tin pan alley gone wild. I love the name.

13. I've Found a New Baby - Squirrel Nut Zippers

14. Danny Diamond - Squirrel Nut Zippers

So, my first musical reviews. Expect more.

No comments: