Your wildest dreams will come true...
A few years ago, when I visited DC with my brother, we got to talking about the US (hmm, wonder why) and its origins etc. We eventually concluded that if any of the founding fathers could see it today, they'd be appalled. I don't mean this as a completely anti-American statement, but I don't mean it positively either.
What brings this on? First and foremost, a desire to get out of the "so this is what happened to me today" format my blog has been taking of late. So, here goes. It's an election year! Yay! I have the wonderful opportunity to exercise my right to vote. Great.
Don't get me wrong. I really do appreciate the freedoms we have in a democracy, er, republic like the USA. Sure, it's an imperfect system, as I'm about to rant about, but it's better than a lot of alternatives. A lot of people would die, and have died, for this kind of freedom. Government for the people. No more absolute monarchs as Strauch would say. Government serves the people, not the other way around. If only that counted for my reading response.
So what I'm trying to say is I take my responsibility as a United States citizen very seriously. A democracy can't function if its citizens don't participate. Sure, I have the freedom not to vote, but that goes against my responsibility.
With that said, what a mess! I've decided to be "open-minded" (or indecisive, or delusional, whatever you call it) and not affiliate myself with any particular party. I figure this is how it's supposed to work. Independently making decisions is a good thing, that's the point isn't it? Yet it's awfully tempting at this point to just tack a label to myself and follow the talking heads. I mean, it's ridiculous how difficult it is to get past all the screaming and finger-pointing and political mumbo-jumbo that makes me so detest necessary politics in the first place. Each side tries to demonize the other's point of view, which is ridiculous and childish and hopefully no one really falls for it. Sure, I don't agree with some things and even feel very strongly about the morality of certain issues, but I also understand that the other side feels just as strongly the opposite way.
Where it gets difficult is when you're trying to vote for the best possible option and trying to guage each side of the argument. Each side has valid points, obviously, but trying to get beyond that into actual logistics of anything is almost impossible. I thought it would take me a lot of time to catch up on all the issues and opinions flying around but I realized after half an hour or so perusing things that it's just the same rhetoric over and over again. And that doesn't really help someone trying to make an informed decision. It becomes simple point of view, which makes some sense because you still get a good majority decision that way and at least if we get messed up we're all in it together, but this point of view thing was what I was trying to avoid in the first place. I'm terribly naive. I don't deny it. It's not all bad.
Anyhow, there's a point when you just want to throw up your hands and give up. Excluding the option of become a poli-sci and economics double major I will never be able to fully understand the ins and outs of many of the policies on the ballot. "But the point is to have your voice heard." Yeah, well, I don't have much of a voice as of now being the ripe old age of 19. Do something about the cost of education. That's really the only issue I have any kind of experience with. Oh dear.



No comments:
Post a Comment