Where to Begin?
Wow, I have a lot of catching up to do. I think I'll start with college, and then once I have time, post about harvest.
It is nice being a sophomore. Being a freshman is crazy. You're adjusting to being away from home, you're adjusting to managing your own time while being surrounded by a bunch of strangers you don't know, you adjusting to sharing a room with one of those strangers, you're adjusting to college-level expectations, it's nuts. Now, as a sophomore, you've got it figured out. You've found your place, you still have a lot of time left in college so you don't have to worry too awfully much about what's coming next, I rather like it.
Oh! So I need to post about Laura's wedding! Drat. It'll have to wait. This is the problem when you get out of the habit of posting. Things pile up.
So first off, I've had a bit of a roommate fiasco. During the middle of the summer I got an email from the girl I was going to room with saying that she couldn't come back to college because of financial reasons. I think she is going to a public college this year and I hope things are going well for her but it was quite a shock. Housing let Katrina, Katie and me keep the room but they assigned a new roommate to us, so I was a little nervous. Katrina knew who she was though and everything worked out okay, but unknowns are never fun to deal with. Almost never.
As far as my room in Stewart goes, I really like it a lot more than I thought I would. It's really nice having three separate rooms, you have more space and privacy that way. It was kind of bare at first so the four of us went to the poster sale and bought some things to add some color. Along with the posters Katie brought a couch, Jenna bought a purple chair, Katrina contributed two tables and we have a small fridge, microwave, and freezer! It's exciting. Notice I haven't contributed anything yet. There's also a mirror, two hot-water heaters, and a coffee-maker. It's a pretty nice set-up. I bought the carpet for Jenna and my room, we just got it in yesterday so we're FINALLY officially settled. And Stewart is pretty nice, it's smaller than BJ and quieter for the most part. Katrina and Katie are huge broadway fans and usually Jenna and I can hear them singing songs from "Wicked" or "Les Mis" in their room. *grins* I love it. I also love borrowing from Katrina's music collection. She has SO MUCH! It's amazing. Jekyll & Hyde, the Scarlet Pimpernel, Mansound, Disney, fun stuff like that.
It's been odd not seeing the other girls from Jenkins East every day. I run into them around campus and we've set aside one day a week to eat together, plus a few of us are doing a Bible study. I really hope we can stay connected, they were such a help for me to connect to campus life.
My professors are amazing! I emailed all my professors before school started so I could get a heads up about books but my Writing for Mass Media prof, Professor Jackson, was the only one who replied. He was very nice and helpful and I was looking forward to meeting him. Well, I was one of the first ones in class (it's at 8:00... yuck) and after a bit he gets there too. He's your typical quirky professor, bald with a fringe of really messy gray hair, these huge glasses and a plaid shirt. He goes to the front of the class and addresses us with the usual "good morning etc." only, and I could not believe this, he has a British accent! It's SO cool! He grew up in South Africa apparently. I just think it's the coolest thing. Only problem is, I get distracted because I'll be listening to his accent and I won't listen to what he's saying... But it's SO COOL! I have a quirky professor with a British accent! And he's a really good professor too. He really cares about teaching and he makes it a priority to relate to the students. So if I had to have an 8 o'clock class, I guess that one's not bad. I'm kind of paying close attention to how I do in there and how I like it because I'm probably going to go for a journalism minor. Anyhow, I asked him to say the word "schedule" in one of my emails and I think I may have offended him. It's not to make fun of his accent I swear! It's just that I think it sounds so much nicer with the soft "sch." I wish I had a cool accent. Maybe I do. I'll have to ask someone when I go to Europe what they think.
My German prof is also amazing. She's from Germany and so she also has a cool accent. Once again, I have a hard time paying attention because I'm listening to her voice. So far she's brought german chocolate, gummi bears, and homemade German plum cake, and she's having us over to her house Friday for a traditional German meal. Afterwards we're watching the Incredibles in German. It's amazing.
I had auditions again this year and I'm in a jazz combo again. I have a funny story about that, remind me to post it. Unfortunately I didn't make Women's Choir although I did get called back this year. I have started student-teaching piano. More on that in a separate post. (Counts number of separate posts she has to make now...)
Hannah from CYT is in my dorm, which has been fun. We went to a Whitworth soccer game together. It was neat.
Okay so I'm running out of steam but hopefully this will give a brief overview and get me in the habit of posting again.



No comments:
Post a Comment